Saturday, June 28, 2008

Weezer - Weezer a.k.a. The Red Album

3.0/5
I came into this album with an open mind, as opposed to the many critics and Weezer-haters who think they're just the worst band on the planet since The Green Album. I gave it a listen and quite liked it. Same result the second time. But every successive listen after that, the album has actually grown down on me. Obviously not much staying power here. The album still has its moments though. "Troublemaker" is catchy enough. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is a hilarious 6-minute epic looking to include 16 bars of every genre imaginable. "Pork and Beans" is easily the best song on the album, reminscent of their amazing Blue Album days (and a really funny video poking fun at all the recent YouTube sensations). "Heart Songs" is a super cheesy tribute to all of Rivers Cuomo's influences, but it's supposed to be cheesy. It actually gave me chills when I first heard Cuomo sing "Back in 1991, I wasn't havin' any fun / 'Till my roommate said 'Come on and put a brand new record on' / Had a baby on it, he was naked on it / Then I heard the chords that broke the chains I had upon me." "Everybody Get Dangerous" is a good, classic, catchy Weezer tune. The rest of the album? All downhill from there. Overall, a good album bordering on mediocre.

1 comment:

Eunice Kwon said...

I actually didn't like the weezer album too much at first. but I listen to it pretty often now. Still not sure I like it, but I haven't been able to completely let go of it yet.

david. write more about your life! :)