Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

4.0/5
It's so hard to pin My Morning Jacket into one genre. You can hear elements of classic rock, southern rock, country, indie, and funk. The only way you can categorize them is another great indie band with a crappy name (please see Death Cab for Cutie). This album seemed familiar to me from the very first listen, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's like the band creates songs that haven't been done before, but when you hear it, you almost say to yourself "Duh, why hasn't anyone made this song yet?" "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 1" is a brilliant song full of synths and sustained chords. "Highly Suspicious" sounds like it could easily be a slightly cheesy Prince song. "I'm Amazed" is the best classic rock tune never written. "Sec Walking" is a country-tinged song that goes at a..well, walking pace. "Two Halves" sounds like a modern version of a long lost 1950s tune, "Librarian" is beautiful, "Aluminum Park" and "Remnants" rock, and "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2" is epic. Great album from a band I'll hopefully be able to see live in September.

No comments: