Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kings of Leon - Only By the Night

3.5/5
I don't know what to think of Kings of Leon's latest release. Some of it is awesome, some is disappointing. Part of me loves the new sound, but the other part pines for the gritty old days of 2004's Aha Shake Heartbreak (Check out "King of the Rodeo"). The fourth track, "Use Somebody", provides a perfect microcosm of my feelings toward the album. It's catchy and sticks in your mind, but it's so...pop. If you accept the fact that KOL has become less like the Strokes and more like U2, as in less raw and more atmospheric, then you will probably find Only By the Night to be very enjoyable. "Closer" is a great track with superb instrumentation (that, oddly enough, reminds me of once-popular "This is Why I'm Hot" by Mims). Caleb Followill's yowl on "Notion" is powerful, "Crawl" rocks hard, and "Sex On Fire" is not exactly the definition of subtlety, but it's a tremendously catchy track. The church-bell intro in "17" and the amateur lyrics in "I Want You" reflect the entirety of those respective tracks: stupid. "Revelry" is interesting enough and "Cold Desert" can't be described as anything other than beautiful. Overall it's a great album and the rating might be bumped up once I lose the original KOL nostalgia.

No comments: