Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

3.0/5
I wasn't really planning on purchasing this album, but Amazon had a deal on it for $5, so I figured I might as well, considering it has made quite a splash in 2008. After giving Tha Carter III a listen, the album basically confirmed my first impressions. It has some great moments. "Mr. Carter" is a really good track featuring Jay-Z. The beats on "Dr. Carter" and "Let the Beat Build" are sick. But overall the album is nothing amazing. There are lots of repetitive, unimaginative beats (especially on the single "A Milli") backing Lil Wayne's flows, unique and endearing at times, annoying at others. The highly popular "Lollipop" is a joke, but it can be strangely likable and has come to grow on me. I can understand why this record is popular, but the fact that critics praise it baffles me. It's catchy hip-hop for the masses, nothing more and nothing less.

No comments: